AST/ALT > 500-1000
- Acute viral hepatitis (ALT > AST)
- Toxic hepatitis, eg, acetaminophen
- Alcoholic hepatitis (AST < ALT)
- Cirrhosis (AST > ALT)
- Vascular: right-sided congestive heart failure, shock liver, Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Biliary tract obstruction (followed by increased alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin)
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (formerly NASH)
- Metabolic, eg, hemochromatosis, Wilson’s disease
- Liver abscess
- Hepatocellular or metastatic cancer
- Drugs, eg, INH, statins
- Heart or skeletal muscle injury
- Celiac sprue (ALT)
- Acetaminophen, Amanita mushroom, other toxins
- Viral, especially hepatitis A
- Right-sided heart failure
is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus
To view other topics, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Learn more.
Last updated: December 1, 2014
Zeiger, Roni F.. "AST/ALT Increased." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2014. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
Zeiger RF. AST/ALT increased. Diagnosaurus. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased. Accessed April 20, 2019.
Zeiger, R. F. (2014). AST/ALT increased. In Diagnosaurus. Available from https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased
Zeiger RF. AST/ALT Increased [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. [cited 2019 April 20]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
TY - ELEC
T1 - AST/ALT increased
ID - 114726
A1 - Zeiger,Roni F,
Y1 - 2014/12/01/
BT - Diagnosaurus
UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased
PB - McGraw-Hill Education
ET - 4
DB - Emergency Central
DP - Unbound Medicine