- Increased caloric intake
- Fluid retention: congestive heart failure (CHF), cirrhosis, nephrotic syndrome
- Cushing’s syndrome, eg, exogenous corticosteroids (central obesity)
- Hypothyroidism (edema and fat accumulation)
- Alcoholism (via hypercortisolism)
- Menopause (decreased metabolic rate)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Syndrome X (obesity, diabetes, and hypertension)
- Insulinoma (hypoglycemia causing overeating)
- Insulin or thiazolidinedione therapy (worsen obesity)
- Other drugs, eg, antipsychotics, antidepressants
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Hypothalamic disorders
- Congenital leptin deficiency (morbid obesity)
- Defects in ?-MSH (melanocortin 4) receptor (morbid obesity)
- Genetic syndromes of obesity and mental retardation
- Prader-Willi syndrome (hypotonia, hypogonadism)
- Laurence-Moon-Bardet-Biedl syndrome (polydactyly, renal anomalies, retinitis pigmentosa, hypogonadism)
- Cohen’s syndrome (microcephaly, hypotonia, short stature, ocular anomalies, neutropenia)
- Biemond syndrome (diabetes mellitus, polydactyly, coloboma, facial anomalies, hypogonadism)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Obesity." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114291/all/Obesity.
Zeiger RFR. Obesity. Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114291/all/Obesity. Accessed May 28, 2023.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Obesity. In Diagnosaurus (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114291/all/Obesity
Zeiger RFR. Obesity [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2023 May 28]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114291/all/Obesity.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Obesity ID - 114291 A1 - Zeiger,Roni F, BT - Diagnosaurus UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/Diagnosaurus/114291/all/Obesity PB - McGraw-Hill Education ET - 4 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -