- Originally called Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, then renamed Pneumocystis jirovecii but still referred to as PCP
- Most common opportunistic infection in patients with HIV, even with PCP prophylaxis and antiretroviral therapy
- Believed to be transmitted by respiratory-aerosol route:
- Cysts colonize respiratory tract
- Cysts rupture and multiple trophozoites release and form foamy exudate in alveoli
- Most cases are believed to represent reactivation of latent disease, although person-to-person transmission suggested
- Actual mode of transmission is unclear
- Pneumocystis is classified as a fungus
- Pneumocystis occurs in hosts with altered cellular immunity:
- HIV infection (most common, especially when CD4 count <200 cells/mm3)
- Corticosteroid treatment
- Organ transplantation
PCP in children is typically more severe
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Pneumocystis Pneumonia." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307643/all/Pneumocystis_Pneumonia.
Pneumocystis Pneumonia. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307643/all/Pneumocystis_Pneumonia. Accessed June 8, 2023.
Pneumocystis Pneumonia. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307643/all/Pneumocystis_Pneumonia
Pneumocystis Pneumonia [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 08]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307643/all/Pneumocystis_Pneumonia.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Pneumocystis Pneumonia ID - 307643 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307643/all/Pneumocystis_Pneumonia PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -