- Hazmat refers to exposure to hazardous materials causing local or systemic toxicity
- Acids cause coagulation necrosis with eschar, usually limiting penetration to deeper tissue
- Alkalis cause liquefaction necrosis and soluble complexes that penetrate into deep tissues
- Damage also occurs through oxidation, protein denaturation, cellular dehydration, local ischemia, and by metabolic competition/inhibition
- Hazardous materials are encountered in household, industry, agriculture, transportation accidents, and in criminal/terrorist activities
- The toxicity of the materials relates to the particular substances and their effects
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.