- Organophosphates (pesticides and nerve agents) irreversibly bind and deactivate cholinesterases, including acetylcholinesterase
- Acetylcholine accumulates at neural synapses, causing central and peripheral cholinergic overdrive
- Predominant effects (muscarinic, nicotinic, CNS) may vary and can overlap
- Mortality is secondary to respiratory failure:
- Weakness of respiratory muscles
- Bronchorrhea and bronchoconstriction
- Central depression of respiratory drive
- Symptoms are difficult to differentiate in toddlers
- Common symptoms: Miosis, salivation, and muscle weakness
- Seizure activity in 25% of pediatric cases:
- Only 3% in adults
- Exposure to insecticides (organophosphorus compounds)
- Exposure to chemical nerve agents (sarin, soman, tabun, VX)
- Extremely well absorbed from lung, GI tract, skin, mucosa, eyes
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Organophosphate Poisoning." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307572/all/Organophosphate_Poisoning.
Organophosphate Poisoning. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307572/all/Organophosphate_Poisoning. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Organophosphate Poisoning. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307572/all/Organophosphate_Poisoning
Organophosphate Poisoning [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307572/all/Organophosphate_Poisoning.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Organophosphate Poisoning ID - 307572 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307572/all/Organophosphate_Poisoning PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -