- CNS depressant effect of isopropanol is 2–3 times as potent as that of ethanol
- Many products that contain isopropanol also contain methanol, ethylene glycol, and ethanol
- Rapidly absorbed following oral ingestion
- Ketogenic, but does not cause significant acidosis
- Metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase to acetone (a CNS depressant):
- Concomitant ethanol ingestion doubles half-life of isopropanol but not that of acetone
- Acetone eliminated by lung and kidney
- Lethal dose: 250 ccs
- Vd: 0.45–0.55 L/kg
- Isopropanol: 2.5–8 hr
- Acetone: 7.5–26 hr
- Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol): Clear, colorless, volatile liquid with faint odor of acetone and bitter taste
- Available as 70% rubbing alcohol solution:
- May contain blue dye that was added to inhibit its abuse (“blue heaven”)
- Found in:
- Various toiletries
- Window-cleaning solutions
- Paint remover
- Jewelry cleaners
- Hand sanitizers
- Typical adult patient: Chronic alcoholic who has been on drinking binge and recently depleted his or her ethanol supply
- Dermal and rectal administration can cause systemic toxicity
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Isopropanol Poisoning." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307543/1.3/Isopropanol_Poisoning.
Isopropanol Poisoning. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307543/1.3/Isopropanol_Poisoning. Accessed May 28, 2023.
Isopropanol Poisoning. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307543/1.3/Isopropanol_Poisoning
Isopropanol Poisoning [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 May 28]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307543/1.3/Isopropanol_Poisoning.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Isopropanol Poisoning ID - 307543 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307543/1.3/Isopropanol_Poisoning PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -