Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Pathophysiology and anatomy of adolescents and young adults are similar.
- 80% of pediatric trauma is blunt; 80% of multisystem trauma includes head injury.
- Trauma is the leading cause of death and disability in children >1 yr in US and Europe.
- Most victims of child abuse are <3 yr. 1/3 of these patients are <6 mo.
- Most cases of pediatric trauma are single-system, minor, blunt injuries.
- Common mechanisms of injury include motor vehicle collisions and bicycle accidents, struck by a vehicle as a pedestrian, and fall from height.
- Penetrating injuries are rare in younger children.
- Risk factors include inadequate supervision, developmental inadequacy of child to perform task, inadequate attention to task, risk taking, drugs, and alcohol.