Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
DescriptionSpecific legal definition varies from state to state:
- Nonconsensual completed or attempted penetration between the penis and vulva or penis and anus
- Nonconsensual contact between the mouth and the penis, vulva, or anus
- Nonconsensual penetration of the anal or genital opening with a finger, hand, or object
- Nonconsensual intentional touching, directly or through clothing, of the genitalia, vagina, anus, groin, inner thigh, or buttocks
- Lifetime prevalence of sexual assault in US is 18% in women, 5% in men
- 72% of female rape victims are raped by someone they know; however, men are primarily raped and physically assaulted by strangers and acquaintances, not intimate partners.
- Women who are disabled, pregnant, or attempting to leave their abusers are at increased risk of intimate partner rape.
- Prevalence of sexual assault in men is higher in those who are gay, bisexual, veterans, prison inmates or seeking mental health services
- Nearly 25% of women and 7% of men have been raped or sexually assaulted by a current or former partner.