- Overall decrease in skeletal mass, generally diffuse
- Skeletal fragility and increased risk of fracture
- Trabecular bone (especially vertebrae and femur) affected more commonly and earlier
- Disease begins in adolescence, but fractures do not usually manifest until age ≥50
- Females affected much more commonly than males, especially after menopause; thought related to estrogen deficiency or age
- Overall increase in resorption over formation of new bone
- Advanced age is the most important risk factor
- Inadequate dietary calcium an important factor, especially early in life
- Sedentary lifestyle is a risk factor (weight bearing on bone favors new bone formation)
- Decrease in estrogen with menopause key factor in women
- Other risk factors include long-term steroid use, alcoholism, methotrexate, tobacco use, low body weight
- Familial or hereditary factor may coexist
Although disease appears to start in adolescence, pediatric patients are asymptomatic
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Osteoporosis." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307489/all/Osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307489/all/Osteoporosis. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Osteoporosis. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307489/all/Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307489/all/Osteoporosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Osteoporosis ID - 307489 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307489/all/Osteoporosis PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -