- 3 types with common final pathway:
- Rhegmatogenous retinal detachments (RRD)
- Tractional retinal detachments (TRD)
- Exudative retinal detachments (ERD)
- Most common
- Break or tear of sensory retina allows vitreous fluid to separate the sensory and pigmented parts of retina from each other
- Acute event, flashes secondary to tearing of nerve fibers, floaters secondary to bleeding
- Contraction of fibrous vitreous bands, as a result of previous insult, pulls the sensory retina off the pigmented retina
- Chronic and progressive
- Asymptomatic unless hemorrhage or retinal tear occurs
- Subretinal fluid accumulates and separate retinal layers without violating either layer
- Do not usually require surgery
- Usually secondary systemic disease such as severe acute hypertension, sarcoid, cancer
- Cataract surgery
- Marfan syndrome
- Structural degeneration of underlying anatomy of vitreous body, sensory or pigmented retina
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- Perforating injury
- Retinopathy of prematurity, sickle cell disease, or toxocariasis
- Malignant hypertension, preeclampsia
- Tumors of the choroid or retina (melanoma, retinoblastoma)
- Inflammatory disorders (Coats or Harada disease, posterior scleritis)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Retinal Detachment." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307482/0.1/Retinal_Detachment.
Retinal Detachment. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307482/0.1/Retinal_Detachment. Accessed May 28, 2023.
Retinal Detachment. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307482/0.1/Retinal_Detachment
Retinal Detachment [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 May 28]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307482/0.1/Retinal_Detachment.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Retinal Detachment ID - 307482 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307482/0.1/Retinal_Detachment PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -