- Sexually transmitted disease (STD)
- Associated with high prevalence of other STDs
- Causes urogenital infections
- May cause premature rupture of membranes or preterm labor in pregnancy
- May cause low–birth-weight newborns
- May facilitate transmission of HIV
- 3–5 million cases per year in U.S.
- 35% of women treated in STD clinics
- Overall prevalence 3.1%:
- Prevalence in black women 13.3%
- Incubation 4–28 d
- May be asymptomatic
- Flagellated protozoan:
- Commonly found in urethra, bladder, and Skene gland
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.