- Chronic systemic inflammatory disorder that attacks the joints:
- Nonsuppurative, proliferative synovitis
- Destruction of the articular cartilage
- Ankylosis of the joint
- Involvement of knee is common
- Baker cysts may be seen in chronic disease
- Involvement of spine is limited to cervical region:
- May cause atlantoaxial subluxation
- Rarely results in cord compression
Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) is a distinct entity (see “Arthritis, Juvenile Idiopathic”)
- Genetic predisposition related to HLA-DR4
- Female-to-male ratio is 3:1
- Typical age of onset is between 30–50
- Etiology is unknown
- Possible triggers include infection and autoimmune response
- Prevalence is about 1% of both U.S. and world population
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Arthritis, Rheumatoid." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307380/all/Arthritis_Rheumatoid.
Arthritis, Rheumatoid. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307380/all/Arthritis_Rheumatoid. Accessed June 4, 2023.
Arthritis, Rheumatoid. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307380/all/Arthritis_Rheumatoid
Arthritis, Rheumatoid [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 04]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307380/all/Arthritis_Rheumatoid.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Arthritis, Rheumatoid ID - 307380 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307380/all/Arthritis_Rheumatoid PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -