Failure to Thrive
- Not a single disease, but a description of a group of signs and symptoms
- Inadequate physical growth:
- Usually diagnosed earlier than age 2 yr
- Broadly divided into:
- Organic (underlying medical condition)
- Nonorganic (no underlying medical condition)
- Found in all socioeconomic groups
- Poverty increases risk of failure to thrive (FTT)
- May result in long-term growth, behavioral, and developmental difficulties, particularly in children who fail to thrive in the first few months of life
EtiologyMany diseases with unique causes resulting in 1 or more of:
- Inadequate caloric intake
- Inadequate caloric absorption, malabsorption
- Excessive caloric expenditure
- These may be secondary to underlying chronic disease
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Failure to Thrive." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307357/all/Failure_to_Thrive.
Failure to Thrive. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307357/all/Failure_to_Thrive. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Failure to Thrive. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307357/all/Failure_to_Thrive
Failure to Thrive [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307357/all/Failure_to_Thrive.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Failure to Thrive ID - 307357 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307357/all/Failure_to_Thrive PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -