Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Nonspecific inflammation and hypertrophy of the synovium with an effusion of the hip joint inchildren
- It can affect any joint but most commonly affects the hip.
- Disease process is self-limiting.
- Most common cause of acute hip pain and a limp in children aged 3–10.
- Also referred to as acute transient synovitis and irritable hip syndrome.
- Age group most affected is 3–6 yr.
- Male > female (2:1)
- Right hip > left
- Cause of toxic synovitis is unknown.
- Infectious etiology is suspected, because an upper respiratory infection precedes the symptoms of transient synovitis in ∼50% of cases.