CNS infection with inflammation of leptomeninges defined by an increased number of WBCs in the CSF most often associated with fever, nuchal rigidity, headache, and altered mental status
- Neonates: Group B Streptococcus, Escherichia coli and other enteric bacilli, Listeria monocytogenes
- Children/adults: Streptococcus pneumoniae, Neisseria meningitidis, group B Streptococcus, and gram-negative bacilli
- Elderly/alcoholic: S. pneumoniae, gram-negative bacilli, Listeria spp.
- Neurosurgical patients: Staphylococcus and gram-negative organisms
- Transplant recipients and dialysis patients: Increased incidence of Listeria spp. infection
- AIDS: Above, plus tuberculosis, fungal, syphilis
- Chemical, drug, or toxin induced
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.