Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
CNS infection with inflammation of leptomeninges defined by an increased number of WBCs in the CSF often associated with fever, nuchal rigidity, headache, and altered mental status.
- Neonates: Group B Streptococcus, Escherichia coli and other enteric bacilli, Listeria monocytogenes
- Children/adults: Streptococcus pneumoniae, Neisseria meningitidis, group B Streptococcus and gram-negative bacilli (<3 yr)
- Elderly/alcoholic: S. pneumoniae, gram-negative bacilli, Listeria spp.
- Neurosurgical patients: Staphylococcus and gram-negative organisms
- Transplant recipients and dialysis patients: Increased incidence of Listeria spp. infection
- AIDS: Above, plus tuberculosis, fungal, syphilis
- Chemical, drug, or toxin induced