- Sexually transmitted genital ulcerative disease:
- Increased risk for HIV infection
- A common cause of painful genital ulceration in Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America:
- Uncommon in the U.S. where herpes simplex virus (HSV) > syphilis >> chancroid, but likely underreported
- Newly identified as causative agent in chronic cutaneous ulcers of the lower limb in children in the tropics in the Pacific islands
EtiologyCausative agent: Haemophilus ducreyi
- Highly infectious bacterium
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.