Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Scorpion venom is neurotoxic:
- Sodium channels opening
- Prolonged firing of neurons
- Autonomic, somatic, and cranial nerve excitation occurs.
- Symptoms begin within minutes of bite.
- Symptoms persist 1–72 hr.
- Centruroides species found in Southern US, Mexico, Central America, and Caribbean
- Many other species in Asia, Africa, Israel, South America, and Middle East
- Can be misdiagnosed as seizures, amphetamine poisoning, or meningitis
- Higher mortality and severity of illness