Chest Trauma, Blunt
- Significant source of morbidity and mortality in the U.S.
- ∼12 thoracic trauma victims per million population per day
- ∼33% of these injuries require hospital admission
- Directly responsible for 20–25% of all deaths attributed to trauma
- Contributing cause of death in 25% of patients who die from other traumatic injuries
- Common mechanisms of injury include:
- Motor vehicle collisions (70–80%)
- Motorcycle collisions
- Pedestrians struck by a motor vehicle
- Falls from great heights
- Blast injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Injuries can result from direct blunt force to the chest or from forces related to rapid deceleration
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.