Chest Trauma, Blunt
Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Significant source of morbidity and mortality in US
- ∼12 thoracic trauma victims per million population per day
- ∼33% of these injuries require hospital admission.
- Directly responsible for 20–25% of all deaths attributed to trauma
- Contributing cause of death in 25% of patients who die from other traumatic injuries
- Common mechanisms of injury include:
- Motor vehicle collisions (70–80%)
- Motorcycle collisions
- Pedestrians struck by a motor vehicle
- Falls from great heights
- Blast injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Injuries can result from direct blunt force to the chest or from forces related to rapid deceleration.