Chest Trauma, Blunt
- Significant source of morbidity and mortality in the U.S.
- ∼12 thoracic trauma victims per million population per day
- ∼33% of these injuries require hospital admission
- Directly responsible for 20–25% of all deaths attributed to trauma
- Contributing cause of death in 25% of patients who die from other traumatic injuries
- Common mechanisms of injury include:
- Motor vehicle collisions (70–80%)
- Motorcycle collisions
- Pedestrians struck by a motor vehicle
- Falls from great heights
- Blast injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Injuries can result from direct blunt force to the chest or from forces related to rapid deceleration
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Chest Trauma, Blunt." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307223/all/Chest_Trauma_Blunt.
Chest Trauma, Blunt. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307223/all/Chest_Trauma_Blunt. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Chest Trauma, Blunt. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307223/all/Chest_Trauma_Blunt
Chest Trauma, Blunt [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307223/all/Chest_Trauma_Blunt.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Chest Trauma, Blunt ID - 307223 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307223/all/Chest_Trauma_Blunt PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -