Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- The entrapment of the retracted foreskin proximal to the glans of the penis
- Leads to lymphatic congestion and venous obstruction, which may result in arterial compromise to the glans
- Paraphimosis is a urologic emergency.
- A number of conditions of the foreskin may predispose to paraphimosis, including:
- Sexually naive may be unaware of the need to reduce foreskin after intercourse
- Commonly iatrogenic, from failure to replace the foreskin after exam, catheterization, or cleaning