- The term “tendinitis” has been used to describe chronic painful tendon injuries before the underlying pathology was fully understood. The terms “tendinosis” or “tendinopathy” should be used instead to describe most chronic tendon disorders lasting >3 mo. This confusion has led to false belief that inflammation is the central etiology, when in reality most tendinopathies are not caused by inflammation but by a failed healing response to trauma or overuse
- Overuse syndrome:
- Clinical Syndrome of chronic pain and tendon thickening
- Synovial cells increase in thickness
- Excess synovial fluid collection
- Constant irritation
- If no further injury occurs, the acute process may last from 48 hr to 2 wk
- Mechanical overload or repetitive microtrauma to the musculotendinous unit:
- Intrinsic factors:
- Muscle weakness or imbalance
- Extrinsic factors:
- Excessive deviation, frequency, or activity
- Intrinsic factors:
- In tendinopathies the collagen is in a state of disrepair with proliferation and chronic irritation of neurovascular repair tissue in the tendon and its linings
- Chemotactic and vasoactive chemical mediators are released leading to vasodilatation and cellular edema, increasing the number and activity of PMNs in the tissue
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Tendonitis." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307165/all/Tendonitis.
Tendonitis. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307165/all/Tendonitis. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Tendonitis. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307165/all/Tendonitis
Tendonitis [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307165/all/Tendonitis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Tendonitis ID - 307165 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307165/all/Tendonitis PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -