- Postnatal hypertrophy and hyperplasia of the circular smooth muscle cell layer causing a thickened pylorus and antrum leading to progressive gastric outlet obstruction
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS-1) may be a genetic susceptibility locus
- Administration of erythromycin and azithromycin in infants during first 2 wk of life may increase risk of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis
- Jaundice due to transient glucuronyltransferase deficiency
- Adult: Caused by peptic ulcer disease
- Most common cause of GI obstruction in infants; incidence 1/150 males, 1/750 females (average: 3/1,000 live births)
- Males affected 5× more commonly than females; firstborn most common
- Familial aggregation noted, 15%:
- Child of affected parent has 7% incidence
- Recurrence risk in subsequent male children is 10%; 2% in females
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Pyloric Stenosis." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307156/all/Pyloric_Stenosis.
Pyloric Stenosis. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307156/all/Pyloric_Stenosis. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Pyloric Stenosis. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307156/all/Pyloric_Stenosis
Pyloric Stenosis [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307156/all/Pyloric_Stenosis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Pyloric Stenosis ID - 307156 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307156/all/Pyloric_Stenosis PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -