- Low back pain (LBP):
- Refers to pain in the area between the lower rib cage and the gluteal folds, often with radiation into the thighs
- Pain in the distribution of the lower lumbar spinal roots
- May be accompanied by neurosensory and motor deficits
- Pain classification:
- Acute: <6 wk
- Subacute: 6–12 wk
- Chronic: >12 wk
- Nonspecific musculoligamentous source (great majority) (e.g., muscle, ligament, fascia)
- Herniation of the nucleus pulposus
- Degenerative joints or discs
- Spinal stenosis
- Anatomic abnormalities—especially spondylolisthesis
- Fractures from trauma and osteoporosis
- Underlying systemic diseases (minority):
- Vascular (dissection, aneurysm, and thrombosis)
- Pelvic organ pathology
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Back Pain." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307062/all/Back_Pain.
Back Pain. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307062/all/Back_Pain. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Back Pain. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307062/all/Back_Pain
Back Pain [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307062/all/Back_Pain.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Back Pain ID - 307062 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307062/all/Back_Pain PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -