- Dysrhythmia characterized by seemingly disorganized atrial depolarizations without effective atrial contraction
- Caused by multiple re-entrant waveforms within the atria
- Atrial rate ranges from 350–600 beats per minute (bpm)
- Decrease in cardiac output with 3-fold risk of heart failure
- Prone to embolus formation with 5-fold risk of stroke
- Most common clinical arrhythmia:
- Prevalence increasing with age
- Systemic disease:
- Chronic pulmonary disease
- Pulmonary embolus
- Drugs (e.g., sympathomimetics)
- Acute alcohol ingestion (holiday heart syndrome)
- Electrolyte disturbance
- Thyroid disease
- Underlying cardiac disease:
- Valvular disease, especially mitral
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Myocardial contusion
- Congenital heart disease
- Absence of any known etiologic factor
- No clinical or echocardiographic evidence of heart disease
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Atrial Fibrillation." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307029/1.3/Atrial_Fibrillation.
Atrial Fibrillation. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307029/1.3/Atrial_Fibrillation. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Atrial Fibrillation. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307029/1.3/Atrial_Fibrillation
Atrial Fibrillation [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307029/1.3/Atrial_Fibrillation.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Atrial Fibrillation ID - 307029 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307029/1.3/Atrial_Fibrillation PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -