- Produced by breakdown in gastric or duodenal mucosal defenses
- Imbalance exists between production of acid and ability of mucosa to prevent damage
- Helicobacter pylori:
- Gram-negative spiral bacteria that live in mucous layer
- Responsible for 90–95% of duodenal ulcers and 80% of gastric ulcers
- Increases antral gastrin production and decreases mucosal integrity
- Interfere with prostaglandin synthesis
- Lead to break in mucosa
- Cigarette smoking
- Severe physiologic stress
- Hypersecretory states (uncommon)
- Ischemic causes
- Genetics (>20% have family history)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Schaider, Jeffrey J., et al., editors. "Peptic Ulcer." 5-Minute Emergency Consult, 5th ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016. Emergency Central, emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307017/all/Peptic_Ulcer.
Peptic Ulcer. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, et al, eds. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307017/all/Peptic_Ulcer. Accessed June 8, 2023.
Peptic Ulcer. (2016). In Schaider, J. J., Barkin, R. M., Hayden, S. R., Wolfe, R. E., Barkin, A. Z., Shayne, P., & Rosen, P. (Eds.), 5-Minute Emergency Consult (5th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307017/all/Peptic_Ulcer
Peptic Ulcer [Internet]. In: Schaider JJJ, Barkin RMR, Hayden SRS, Wolfe RER, Barkin AZA, Shayne PP, Rosen PP, editors. 5-Minute Emergency Consult. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2016. [cited 2023 June 08]. Available from: https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307017/all/Peptic_Ulcer.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Peptic Ulcer ID - 307017 ED - Barkin,Adam Z, ED - Shayne,Philip, ED - Rosen,Peter, ED - Schaider,Jeffrey J, ED - Barkin,Roger M, ED - Hayden,Stephen R, ED - Wolfe,Richard E, BT - 5-Minute Emergency Consult UR - https://emergency.unboundmedicine.com/emergency/view/5-Minute_Emergency_Consult/307017/all/Peptic_Ulcer PB - Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ET - 5 DB - Emergency Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -