Emergency Central is a collection of disease, drug, and test information including 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult, Davis’s Drug, McGraw-Hill Medical’s Diagnosaurus®, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and MEDLINE Journals created for emergency medicine professionals. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Poisoning may be intentional or unintentional.
- Patients with change in mental status without clear cause should have poisoning (intoxication, overdose) considered in differential diagnosis.
- Recreational drug abuse
- Unintentional (accidental):
- Common cause in children
- Therapeutic error (e.g., double dose)
- Recreational drug experimentation
- Accidental ingestions—typically young children (1–5 yr)
- Consider child abuse if inconsistent or suspicious history.